1861-08-03 RUSSIAN NAVY
London Times, 3 August 1861, p. 9: RUSSIAN NAVY.
The following details respecting the Russian naval force are taken from official sources: -- At the end of 1860 the effective of the navy was -- Admirals, 95; other officers, 3,245; civil functionaries, 966; and sailors and marines, 55,216. The admirals, officers, and functionaries were fewer than at the end of 1859, but the sailors were 2,200 more. Of the total, 10 admirals, 2,332 officers and 32,728 sailors were destined to serve afloat, and the rest for protecting the coasts. At the end of 1859 the fleet was thus composed: -- Steam vessels -- 9 ships of the line, 22 frigates, 22 corvettes, 12 clippers, 79 gunboats, 2 yachts, 25 schooners, 8 transports, 49 small steamers, 11 sloops, and 3 floating batteries. These various vessels were of 36,935-horse power, and armed with 2,374 pieces of canon. Sailing vessels -- 10 ships of the line, 6 frigates, 3 corvettes, 5 brigs, 17 schooners, 2 luggers, 3 tenders, 13 transports, and 12 yachts, the number of guns being 1,477. The total number of vessels was 313, and of guns 3,851. In the year 1860 the fleet was increased by the launching of the following vessels: -- At St. Petersburg, a ship of the line, Emperor Nicholas I., of 111 guns; a frigate Osliabia, 45; a corvette, Bogatyr, 17; a floating battery, and various small vessels. At Cronstadt, a screw frigate, the Oleg, 57 guns, and the ships of the line Sinope and Cesarewitch (number of guns not stated). At Archangel, a frigate, the Persevete, of 53 guns, and a steamer, Solombola, of 240-horse power and 8 guns. At Nicholaieff, two corvettes, Yastreb and Kretchete, each of 9 guns; two steamers, Alouchta and Tchetyrdagh, each of 2, and an iron screw sloop. At Abo, a sailing yacht, Zabava, for the Grand Duke Alexis. At Biorneborg, two armed clippers, Abrek and Vsadrick, each of 5 guns. At Northfleet, in England, an armed clipper, Haidamack, of 7. At Havre, in France, two gunboats, Morre and Tulene. In addition, the construction of several other vessels for the fleet was commenced both in Russian ports and abroad.
Provided by Stephen McLaughlin