1866-09-08 THE RUSSIAN MERCANTILE NAVY
London Times, 8 September 1866, p. 6: THE RUSSIAN MERCANTILE NAVY.
The Russian Steam Navigation and Trading Company are about to add several large steamers, built in this country, to their fleet in the Black Sea. Messrs. C. Mitchell and Co., of Newcastle-on-Tyne, have just completed a large paddle-steamer for the company. The vessel bears the name of General Kotzebue, in honour of the present governor of the Southern Provinces of Russia, from the chief port of which, Odessa, the vessel is intended to trade to the principal places in the Black Sea. She is 230ft. long, 28ft. broad, and of corresponding depth. Extensive cabin accommodation is provided for first, second, and third class passengers. The dining saloon for first-class passengers is placed on deck, and is a very elegantly decorated apartment. The walls are of ornamental wood, and the panels are filled with highly finished painting. The floors are covered with Minton's tesselated tiles, which give a cool and pleasing effect to the interior. A second steamer of a similar size and construction, and to be named the Grand Duchess Olga, is about to be launched by Messrs. Mitchell and Co., and will trade in conjunction with the General Kotzebue and the Grand Duke Michael, sent out last year by the same builders. The machinery of the General Kotzebue and the Grand Duchess Olga is of 185-horse power, by Messrs. Penn and Son, of London. The engines have been constructed with special regard to the economy of fuel, and are fitted with all recent improvements for that purpose, and a highly favourable result has been obtained from a trial voyage from London to Newcastle. During a rough passage from Deptford to the Tyne the total consumption of fuel was only 18 tons.
Provided by Stephen McLaughlin